As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. -- Isaiah 55:10-11

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Gratitude 21--A Few of My Favorite Things

It is a rare time when I can sit in the quiet and write, and as I settled onto my couch to pour forth something of consequence, nothing came to mind. Blank. Honestly, I find that assuring. I never want my writing to simply be about my day or whatever my fixation is at the moment. I want the words that come from me to be life.

Proverbs 13:24 says, "The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death."

Life only comes from God, though, so I need to make sure I'm in touch with Him before I get in touch with you. So I took a moment to connect the fastest way I know how--I said, "Thank you." Then I thought maybe that is exactly what I should share with you--the fastest way into a God-focused mindset is to be grateful.

These are some of the things that I enjoy immensely, a few of my favorite things, if you will, and for them, I am extremely thankful.

1. Earthenware coffee mugs. Nothing quite competes.
2. My Harley Davidson coffee mug that my son gave me for Christmas two years ago. Sometimes I get really radical, put some ice and Coke in it, and just enjoy the attitude.













3. Notebook paper. I don'ty have an explanation. I have unopened reems of it that I buy because when I'm gloomy, I like to buy notebook paper.

4. A big box of crayons with the sharpener. Even if I don't color with them, I look at the box, and it makes me smile.









5. Being 40 and admitting I still like crayons!

6. Chocolate milk.

7. Books. The Christian bookstore near us is having their home educators' sale while Anna and I are going to be gone camping, and I was highly disappointed. Robert said he and Daddy will shop for me, and I just mumbled, "But I like to touch the books. I like the way they smell." Some of you know what I mean.










And, yes, those are our bookcases.

8. A comfortable couch.

9. Warm blankets since Man of my Dreams likes it a lot colder than I do.

10. Small poodles that like to lie near me.










11. Fine point pens, blue.

12. Flavored creamer.

13. Cork boards that hold special memories so I can see them.

14. Pictures of people I love on the shelves where I can see them when I am being still and being grateful.










15. Clipboards.

16. Journals. The ones filled to overflowing...and the ones waiting to be filled.













17. Tape. I just trim emails and various printed copies to fit into my journal and tape them in. So much faster than rewriting!

18. Glue that dries on your hands and peels off. No, it isn't as cool as when I was in 3rd grade, but on a slow day, it'll still do the trick.

19. Precious friends who don't get the glue, but dig me anyway.
20. Socks...barefooted isn't for all of us.










21. Music.

22. Mute buttons.

23. Online bloggers that make me feel like we could sit together and speak volumes without having to say a thing.
24. The privilege of being able to homeschool.










25. Carol Colter. Professor. Beautiful lady. Loving heart. Purpose implanter.

26. Hoops and Yoyo.

27. Red hair.

28. Almonds to munch.
29. Ergonomic keyboards.










30. Rocking chairs...the creak. :-)













31. Sunshine.

32. Swaying trees that make me wonder what kind of symphony nature is lifting up to the King.













33. The vision of a smiling God who loves to hear symphonies...

34. My Bible.










35. My Greek Hebrew study Bible










36. Bible study books my dad left me.











37. The sound of my children singing...especially when it is Christmas songs in May.
38. The quiet filled with the voice of God.

39. That this is only a short list of all I have to be grateful for...

5 comments:

Amelia said...

How about friends who get the glue? ;-)
Lovely thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Jerri Phillips said...

Next time we visit, I'll bring the glue!

Jennifer said...

I just told someone Sunday that the glue trick still makes me smile!!

Jenny B. said...

Jerri, it's always a treat to read your blog. I never know what to expect, except that I'll always learn something really nifty!

I have a nicely sized bottle of Elmer's ready, if you happen to come up north. ;-)

tonya said...

Jerri, your post made me smile!
Hoops and Yoyo-yep
Journals filled and to be filled, that was written so poetically!
Chocolate milk and coffee mugs- me, too.
Great post!