It isn't an easy day for her today, not because the calendar turns another year older but because this is the first birthday her dad did not give her a call first thing. He went to be with Jesus last fall, and today, the hole in her heart gapes big, and the tears fall hot. And today, I want to put my arms around her and hold her and somehow make it better, but really, there is nothing I can do but hand tissues...
...Except to honor the man who is gone by celebrating the daughter he left behind...
In counting the gift that is Rae...
901. She laughs deep, and it echoes...in rooms, in hearts.
902. Her door is open...to the homeless, to the hopeless, to anyone needing refuge.
903. There is always a cup of coffee
904. Whole body hugs...that hold on until you are okay to let go
905. Her words of honor and love for her husband
906. Her fierce devotion to friends
907. The odd things she finds funny...the same ones as me
908. If she has it and you need it, it's yours
909. The way she rolls with things
910. The mom she chose to be
Did I mention her laughter? :-)
911. Her phone that is on all hours, even when she is tired
912. Potato Salad
913. Learning to swim together at a lake in the country...I'd be terrified if my children did what we did
914. Faith talks
915. Her deep love, which hurts her now, but blesses those blessed to receive it.
The greatest gift is not in who she is...or what she has...but in how easily she gives herself away...
Happy Birthday, Rae! I love you!!!