As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. -- Isaiah 55:10-11

Sunday, August 6, 2006

Room 12--Part 2

Tonight was the second sermon in the series "Room 12". The line for the series says, "It's not a place. It's an experience." I really like that line.

In the first sermon our pastor Robert Morris gave his testimony. Powerful. A few people I know either listened or watched it. In fact, Iona's comment is attached to the first post. Tonight Dr. Michael Brown (http://www.icnministries.org/) gave his testimony. It was also good, and we saw another 10 people or so saved in our service.

Our friend who joined us commented that she felt last week's was more powerful, not just because of the number that was saved but because it was different. I agreed, and I've considered what the difference was.

Ultimately, it is God's presence, but why was it more powerful last week? Had more people fasted and prayed? I tried to spend prayer time on this alone every day this week. I doubt I was the only one. In truth, I can't tell you. I don't know for sure why God blows us away at one time and seems so distant at another.

I can tell you a difference for me, though. This week's testimony was huge in that it took someone who seemed beyond candidacy as a Christian and has changed him into an international missionary for the Jews. He had some pertinent facts that should make us all walk more cautiously.
-If you taste sin, you'll develop an appetite for it.
-You don't quit sinning because the desire goes away. The desire goes away when you choose to quit sinning.
I strongly suggest you listen or watch the sermon when they get it posted for the context because it should jar everyone of us into considering even the slightest sin we allow into our lives.

Yes, from the viewpoint that God worked mightily in an unlikely life, tonight was powerful.

Last week was a bit different. Pastor Robert wasn't as unlikely a candidate, or so one would think. Although I would argue he might have been more unlikely due to the power of religious spirits, but that isn't what really touched me last week. What touched me was Pastor Robert's vulnerability. He was so candid, and he admitted that some of the things he told were hard because he was so ashamed of them. Sometimes his voice broke. Sometimes his voice was quiet. Last week was a man sharing intimate parts of his life with people he loves, people who trust him to lead them and have their answers. A man who is trusted to teach thousands about Christ every week shared openly how he had mocked Him. There was no arrogance. There were no airs to be put on. It wasn't a stoic presntation of this is who I was but I'm not that person anymore and that person has no hold on me and let's move on. Instead, Pastor Robert was a real man who had things in his past he wishes he could change, things that he knows were shameful. He was a real man who was saved by a real God.

It was powerful.

If you really need God, He really wants to save you, too. It isn't hard, but it is powerful. All you have to do is realize that you are a sinner and you need Christ to forgive you for your sins. Then confess your sins to the Lord and ask for forgivness. Next tell someone. Tell everyone! The Bible says in Romans 10:
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

There is no patented "prayer of salvation", but if you need some help, you can pray simply, "Lord, I know I am a sinner. I know I need Jesus as my Lord. I ask you to forgive me and take my life to do with as you will." That's it. Then tell someone. Find a church and get involved in a local body. Pray for the Lord to lead you to a church. If you drop me a comment, I'll pray for you. In fact, I've already prayed for you because I pray for this blog to lead people to Christ and for Him to be glorified through everything I write. Drop me a comment, and I will better know how to pray.

Praying the very real presence and power of God reaches into the lives of real people.....

No comments: